Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Book Review: My Stroke of Insight by Dr Jill Bolte Taylor

Okay, so you may be noticing a trend in the books I have reviewed thus far. I love reading about people. Not just famous people (although these are generally the most widely available), but also those with amazing, noteworthy, breathtaking stories that command me to find out more. Call me crazy, but I just find people so fascinating. So when I saw Dr Jill Bolte Taylor on The Oprah Winfrey Show, I put her book on my must-read list...

Dr Jill was a 37-year-old trained and published neuroanatomist, who also gave numerous speeches around America about the importance of brain donation for scientific purposes. Her life changed forever the morning she has a stroke in the left hemisphere of her brain. As it was in the side of her brain that stored memories, language, and numerals, Dr Jill essentially became an infant again. She had to relearn how to read, write, walk, get dressed, all the functions we complete without even thinking. One example Dr Jill included was thinking that a fork was actually a back scratcher!

I was extremely touched by the close bond Dr Jill shares with her mother G.G. (short for her maiden name Gladys Gillman). This amazing lady flew across America without any hesitation to be by Dr Jill’s side for the first part of her recovery. G.G. taught her daughter to read and write again, and attended to her every need. Simply beautiful.

In the last few chapters of My Stroke of Insight, Dr Jill explains which part of the brain controls certain aspects of your personality. For example, many of us speak with our head (left hemisphere), while others speak with their heart (right hemisphere). While these pages were rather a lot to take in, and rather heavy in their approach, I still found it interesting that I have more control over my brain that I thought. All it takes is practice in training my brain to steer away from negative thoughts...

My Stroke of Insight was a very personal read for me. My uncle and grandfather both suffered strokes, and if I had Dr Jill’s story earlier, I would have been more aware of their needs and a lot less frightened! While Dr Jill’s story is one of triumph, hard work, and love, I think it is a must-read for all of us. I am now able to recognise the symptoms of stroke, have one detailed account of a recovery program (although these will differ from patient to patient), and feel as though I could bring a positive energy to someone recovering from a stroke.

Overall, I really loved the way Dr Jill looked upon her stroke as something positive in her life. It was an event that allowed her to see a stroke as something more than a brain disorder. She therefore highlights the need for patients to be seen as people rather than just victims.

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment