Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Book Review: The Carrie Diaries

I’m probably overdoing it with the girly books at the moment, but being a huge fan of Sex and the City, I simply had to find out how Carrie Bradshaw became the famous fictional character she is today!

The Carrie Diaries follows a small-town girl who is navigating her way through her senior year of high school. With ambitions of becoming a writer, Carrie finds herself in the midst of typical teenage behaviour – friendship strains, boyfriend troubles, and risk-taking behaviour. Through this, we learn how Carrie develops her writing voice and how she makes her way to her beloved New York City. You may, therefore, think the book is more about The City than Sex. This is not the case. Sex is there, but is presented in an ‘innocent teenager’ manner than in the exploration nature we see in the television show. But what else could be expected from a 17-year-old?

While Bushnell does explore Carrie’s family background, it is very difficult for me to believe this is the real Carrie we have come to know on the famous television series. Thus, the book and screen adaptations have the following discrepancies:

1.       The book states Carrie’s mother died when she was a young girl, leaving her father to raise three young girls. The television series reveals Carrie’s father left when she was five years old.
2.       In the book, Carrie is a good cook. In the series, she keeps sweaters in her stove!
3.       In the book, Carrie calls Samantha Jones when she first arrives in New York City. In the movie, Carrie meets Samantha after Charlotte and Miranda.
4.       In the book, Carrie’s first love is Sebastian Kydd. In the series, it is Jeremy.

The Carrie Diaries has been labelled as teenage fiction yet it may be difficult for some of today’s teenagers to relate to Carrie’s life. Sure, she deals with friendship betrayal and boyfriend confusion, but at a time when perms and white go-go boots were all the rage. However, with many details from the television series ignored, it seems that Bushnell has used her life as the basis for Carrie’s story (she also grew up in Connecticut during the 80s).  This leaves me thinking that the book may have only been written so Bushnell could further benefit financially from the Sex and the City brand. Perhaps she needed some new Manolos?

2.5 out of 5 stars

5 comments:

  1. I love Candace Bushnell...but I had heard this book wasn't that good... you just confirmed it for me ...I might pass on this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought this would be a difficult one to pull off - Carrie has such a set persona that it's hard to imagine she hadn't just appeared fully formed one day. Which she did. So trying to create origins was always going to be a problem. I wasn't going to read this one, and you've confirmed that decision for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this would be the case with this book. I actually didn't think much of the original Sex and the City book. Thanks for the info though, I'll spend my money on another book! Found you through FYBF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel - thanks for your comments and for becoming a follower!

    Alison - I'm glad you're taking my advice. Being a big fan of the show, it was difficult for me to accept Bushnell's version of her upbringing! I love your blog, by the way!

    Jacki - Thanks for becoming a follower! Definitely spend your money on another book, hopefully my blog may give you some suggestions when I've written some more reviews. I agree, the SATC book itself wasn't too great either. The television series has brought it to life.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shanee,

    I am now also following your blog. It has lots of great tips! Thanks for following my blog!

    XO

    ReplyDelete