Thursday, December 2, 2010

Book Review: The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do

The Happiest Refugee came with the sticker ’50 books you can’t put down’ emblazoned on its front cover. And this was certainly my experience as I made my way through its pages...

Most famous for his stand-up comedy routines, particularly his appearances on Thank God You’re Here, Anh Do’s autobiography begins as though it is fiction. Escaping Vietnam’s communist regime after the war, a young Anh Do boards a tiny boat with 39 of his family and friends. Barely surviving run-ins with pirates and the brink of starvation, a German ship finds the refugees and takes them to Malaysia. Australia eventually becomes Do’s new home, where his parents work around the clock to create a better life for their young family.

Throughout the book, details of Do’s extended family, his affections for wife Suzie, and his decision to move from a career in law to comedy are entwined in funny ditties and stories that would bring a smile to any reader’s face. However, the biggest satisfaction I gained while reading this book was Anh Do’s appreciation for his second chance in Australia. We really do live in the lucky country!

Overall, I would definitely recommend The Happiest Refugee to anyone. Anh Do’s kind, smiling, and gentle personality really shines through – which is exactly like his television persona really!

4.5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alexandra!
    I followed you here from Facebook. I have just started up a blog too (http://coocoohandmade.blogspot.com/)but I have been reading other people's for ages- finally got my act together! Your reviews are excellent and I hope to read "The Happiest Refugee" soon based on your recommendation.
    Courtney x

    ReplyDelete